Balance the food you eat with physical activity. Excess calories without physical activity would lead to weight gain.
- Choose a diet with adequate amount of whole grain cereals, vegetables, and fruits.
- Choose a diet that is low in saturated fat and has more emphasis on unsaturated fats like olive oil, canola oil, mustard oil.
- Take salt in moderation. Avoid table salt in salad and raitas.
- If you drink alcoholic beverages, do so in moderation
- Have at least 8-10 glasses of water in a day. Keep a bottle of water at your work desk in office and keep on having a sip or two once in a while.
- To make it easier to manage your health, make short term weekly goals in your eating behaviour and physical activity like don’t drink colas for a day\week, or quit smoking for a day\week.
- Have small and frequent meals. It would keep you full and would prevent chances of overindulgence.
- Get yourself screened annually for Blood Sugar, Blood Pressure and Cholesterol levels, especially if you are over 30 years of age and\or have family history of Type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases or hypertension.